School History

Frederick Irwin Anglican School is one of the oldest Independent schools in the Peel Region.

The School opened in February 1991 with 175 students and now has 1530 students from Kindergarten to Year 12.

The school grounds and facilities have developed considerably since foundation, with the most recent additions of the Year 7 Transition Centre and the Rush Chapel, which was completed in July 2016.

Since its inception, the School has aimed continually to provide excellent facilities to further student academic, athletic and cultural opportunities for our students.

2011 saw the foundation Principal, Mr Geoffrey Arnold, hand the School over to its second Principal, Ms Kerry Robertson, to continue and grow the School into the 21st Century.

In 2018, Frederick Irwin Anglican School (with the Anglican Schools Commission Inc.) opened the Halls Head Campus, allowing the intake of more primary students across two campuses within the Mandurah community.

2020 saw the school handle the COVID-19 Global Pandemic including the introduction of homeschooling for a period of time.  Principal Ms Kerry Robertson officially retired at the end of 2021, and the School welcomed Mrs Tracey Gray as the new Principal for 2022.  


Frederick Irwin Anglican School was named after Captain Frederick Chidley Irwin in recognition of his contribution to the development of Western Australia at the time of its foundation.

Captain Irwin was a practising Anglican and also played a significant role in the establishment of the General Board of Education during his second term as Relieving Governor of the Swan River Colony.

The Irwin River, which rises in the Lower Murchison Region and flows into the Indian Ocean at Dongara, was named after him in recognition of his contributions to the development of the Swan River Colony, as was Chidley Point.